William Hands Homestead
Book details
- Title
- William Hands Homestead
- Author
- Frederick Neal Page
- Publication year listed
- 1880
- Format
- Public domain eBook
- Reading access
- Free online reader; no registration required
- Source record
- View on Archive.org
About this book
William Hands Homestead
Year: 1880
Type(s): Photograph Physical Description: b&w Source: The Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 37 Notes: Photograph c. 1880?; "The William Hands Homestead, and home of the first Sandwich post office is situate on Main Street at the northern part of the town. Near the street at the gate was a small building or sort of "sentry box", where the mail was received and delivered to the citizens of Sandwich and vicinity from 1800 to 1834." William Hands was the first postmaster. He held the position from 1800 to 1834. He died February 20, 1836. The Hands Homestead was on the east corner of Main Street and Church Street. Main Street ran south from Huron Church Line to Detroit Street, where it became Bedford Street. Church Street ran west from Huron Church Line to Main Street. The house was built in 1780. It was then partially destroyed by fire in 1900, before being re-built. The land on which it was built was originally part of an Indian Reserve. Place(s): Sandwich (Ontario)Windsor (Ontario) Rights: Public Domain Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library. Archives and Special Collections